7 Facts You Should Know About Microfilm
- Microfilm is an unalterable, eye-readable format that is the most trusted form of document preservation for critical documents. Documents stored on microfilm have a life expectancy of 500 years when stored properly.
- There are three main microforms: microfilm, microfiche and aperture cards. Microfilm is the most common microform for storing various types and sizes of documents.
- Microfilm is affordable! The cost of recording documents on microfilm is similar to making a copy or print. Storing documents on microfilm is more cost effective over time compared to digital storage. The act of migrating digital data over many years involves recurrent hardware and software upgrades as well as the risk of data degradation and data corruption. Microfilm also costs less to store than paper documents.
- 35mm microfilm is best for archiving wide format documents that are vital to certain organizations such as manufacturing companies, utilities and government agencies. By recording on 35mm microfilm, engineering drawings, maps, newspapers or ledger books can be recorded with sufficient resolution (300dpi or better) for proper reading by human or scanner anytime in the future.
- 16mm microfilm is usually used for long term storage of office documents such as letter, legal and ledger size documents.*For additional information to aid in choosing the correct microfilm media for your records, visit "Choosing the Correct Microfilm Archive Media".
- A microfilm record is acceptable in a court of law as a legal record.
- Microforms can be scanned at any time for easy, everyday access to documents.
More facts and information about microfilm and microfilm preservation is available at Facts About Microfilm
For over three decades organizations, including various government agencies and utilities such as nuclear power generators, have relied on Tameran to provide direction for their document preservation strategies and microfilm creation. Download our Reference Archive Solutions Brochure or Contact Tameran today for more information or a quote for microfilm services.